Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Pangisdaan Festival

When I was in third year high school, I joined in Navotas City Pangisdaan Festival Street Dance Competition. This competition is yearly, it is for the founding anniversary of Navotas City. This street dance competition was joined by different high schools in Navotas City including Navotas Polytechnic College. Each schools has a representative or dancers. Each schools or group has a more than of thirty dancers. All schools that joined are hoping to win and be the champion for that year. Our school, Navotas National High School always won on that competition. Other schools wanted to defeat us.


Pangisdaan Festival Street dance Competition is for all the Navoteños. This street dance tells about the community in Navotas City. We all know that Navotas City is the Fishing Capital Of The Philippines. The moves and the way they danced in this competition tells how Navoteños lived and how the Navoteños work on the fishing capital of the Philippines. This street dance competition was truly wonderful. By watching this street dance, you can easily know the community in Navotas City.






 

On the time I joined on that competition, I had experienced so many challenges to be a dancer of Navotas High School. First, we had an audition for the street dance dancers. I came late that day. I'm shy, I don't know what to do, I can't go inside alone. I'm wandering if my friends are inside. Am I the only one who will come late? I really don't know what to do at that time. Outside the room, I thought of something that I should do, I walked and I jumped to lessen the fear I had that time. But then, I decided to go back home but I saw my friends coming, they are also late on our audition. Same as what I felt, they are also shy and afraid to go inside. We have a fear on our choreographer cause we knew that he is very strict. We decided to wait outside and then finally, they had finished their topic inside. We asked a student of what did they do inside, she said that they had a meeting about the competition. Then after a break, our choreographer  ask for a meeting again. He says again what he said on their early meeting, it is for the new comers who didn't attend the early meeting. Our choreographer only says about him, that he is strict and he tells how he train, all of the dancers scared at him. After the meeting, we had a break again for a few minutes to prepare for the audition. There are many student who wants to join and their to be in audition. We are shy to dance, because of so many eyes that watching. The audition starts, the audition has part or round it is to know who is more deserving to be a dancer. Every round, students that are not really good in dancing are gone or out and some are go home because they felt unwell. I survived the audition and I'd been a part of  the group. 




On our practice day, I encounter all the hard challenges. The trainer angry at us. The hard steps , The stress and many more . I feel sick everyday but i don't mind it. I always attending are  practice even i have fear on our trainer. On the last day of our rehearsal, We haven't sleep, we rehearsed from seven in the morning 'till eleven midnight and back again to rehearsed at 3:00 am. We don't have sleep yet until the competition starts at 6:00 am. We are all tired and sleepy but we are all excited. It was a sunny morning. I feel like I'm burning. We are the last group that will going to dance.


When the time they call our number, I felt all the emotions. There are many people watching us. After our number, the Mayor made his speech and he said that he increased the amount of the winning prize. We are all wanted and hoping to win. We won again as the champion for that year. We celebrate and all happy. After that competition, we also dance in the other part of Metro Manila as a guest.

I will never forget this  experience. I love to be a Navoteña.

2 comments: